When it comes to men’s fashion there is a huge error in judgement. The most common misconception is that every man seems to have a bottomless pit of a wallet and a lot of money to throw around; unless you’re working in a very high paying job, which just isn’t the case. It’s for this reason most men have a field day with bulk buying at the local Tesco and kitting out on the cheap. There is a word that is much overused in the fashion industry and that word is ‘essential’. There are not as many ‘essential’ items in a man’s wardrobe as there is a woman and really, a double breasted blazer is definitely not one of those essential items so should never really be on any kind of magazine essentials list. Tasselled loafers and print Hawaiian shirts are also not an essential and really should just be burnt! There are websites such as birtchnells.co.uk that actually DO carry some of the items you really should have in your wardrobe and we’ve listed below some of these items.
- Jeans don’t always have to be a builder’s job; as in, they don’t have to be for just slinging mud or wearing for the jobs that need doing round the house. Jeans can be just as dressy as trousers and dark slim jeans are the way to go for a multipurpose and stylish look. Birtchnells.co.uk carry some excellent wrangler Texas jeans which are made to fit and can be worn either with a blazer for a smart ‘night-out’ look or dressed down with converse and a slouch t-shirt.
- Ties are generally used in the office or for evenings or dinners out. Having a solid colour means you only literally need the one tie and you can throw it at any outfit really, suits or shirt and jeans etc. Try not to go more than 3” wide at its widest point or you are at risk of looking akin to a clown – not a good look.
- Making sure you have white shirts in the wardrobe will do you favours, These don’t have to be necessarily Oxford cloth or Olymp shirts which you can find on birtchnells.co.uk but white shirts are easy to dress up with some formal trousers and a blazer and also works very well with a rumpled pair of jeans. For some versatility, wear open with a long sleeve jersey shirt underneath.
- Make sure you have a black v neck jumper in the wardrobe or even two! Such an elegant look for a man to pull off and by adding a black jumper you can even smarten up a tshirt and jeans. You can layer it under a suit with a shirt and tie for a formal and stylish look.
- Black shoes. We’re realising that the staples for your wardrobe are all on the dark side but the thing is there’s no such thing as a man who looks bad in dark clothing! Black doesn’t just slim women down it makes men edgier. Black lace up shoes are usually dress up shoes and can go with suits and tuxedos just as much as those slim black jeans we mentioned earlier. Team your white shirt with jeans and laced shoes and you can’t go wrong.